Monday, March 18, 2013

Homemade Butter-Cream Cheese Frosting

Here is my recipe for the frosting I used on my gluten free Rice Cake and to ice 12 cupcakes.

When I cook, I usually wing it. That is unless I am following a recipe. Measurements are approximate. 
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter softened
  • 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract (the real stuff, not imitation) I use the Fresh & Easy Bourbon Vanilla Extract (best vanilla EVAH)
  • 4 oz of cream cheese
  • 3 cups of powdered sugar, plus more if a thicker frosting is desired.
  • a splash of milk to thin icing if you get to excited with the powdered sugar
  • pinch of salt
I start by creaming the butter and cream cheese together in my most prized possession, my pink Kitchen Aid Stand mixer.  Add the vanilla and mix for about 10 seconds.  I then added the powdered sugar slowly while the mixer was running on 'Stir.' Once the ingredients were incorporated together well enough to not get a powdered sugar explosion, I turned that baby up to 6 and whipped the pooh out of it until it was light and fluffy, about 1 minute.  Seeing as it was a warmer day the frosting turned a little thinner than I would have liked so I added about 1/4 cup more powdered sugar until it was the desired consistency, which was light, fluffy and easy to spread.

Viola! Homemade frosting!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment