Monday, January 20, 2014

Today's Lesson: Martin Luther King Jr.

I know that today is a holiday, but instead of giving my kids the day off, why not learn WHY this day is so special? I have found that holidays make for great teaching points during our school year.  We often do short lessons on holidays, so my kids at least know the reasoning behind having a day off of school.

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Here is a great coloring sheet, today we will be working on a MLK thematic unit (sorry not free, but cheap!).  If you haven't tried thematic units yet, I highly recommend it for those days when you just don't feel like scouring the internet and library for materials.  You can buy them pre-made or make up your own buy doing Google searches for a topic and just putting the sheets all together.  

We will be finishing up by watching a movie "Our Friend Martin."
Have fun learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment