Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Long Live The Dollar Store!!!

Any one who knows me, knows about my rapturous love of dollar stores. I love the Dollar Tree and the 99 Cent Only Stores, and will find any and every opportunity to shop at either one.  I think I get it from my mom, who taught me everything I know about the good old "dolla" store.  Oh, don't act all uppity...if you have eaten at my house, you have eaten 99 Cent store food!
I know, I know I should be buying local to help support the economy and I shouldn't be buying a bunch of cheap s*** from other countries, and blah,blah, blah... I just can't help it, I always find such good stuff there and it makes me feel like a smart and savvy shopper.  Where else can I get 100 items for $100 bucks in Southern California??? I'll tell you where...NOWHERE!  My husband often gets on my case for buying everything at the "dollar stores."
 Take the other day for example.  I went to the nearest 99 Cents Only store and hit the jackpot! I found 4 bags of Udi's Gluten Free Bagels!  I almost broke out in song and dance in the freezer section of the store.  When these can be found (rarely) they cost $5.99 for a bag of 4 bagels. Since I am too cheap to pay that much for anything, I hadn't had a bagel in 9 years.  That being said I am currently hoarding them like a squirrel hoards nuts.
On the way out I hit the jackpot again when I found organic lettuce, heirloom tomatoes and those little, sweet bell peppers that I love so much.  Then in the aisle with the tools I found hot pink and black zebra printed duct tape (what I will use it for, I don't know, but I'm sure I'll think of something.)  On my way to the checkout, I noticed a big bin of clothing. Teenie and I rummaged through it and found a few Hanes solid color t-shirts that would be great for crafts.
Which leads me to another thought...there has been soooo many times that I have been able to make complete meals from 99 cents store foods, and complete cheap crafts out of Dollar Tree items. It is really possible to make something out of practically nothing if you are creative...or just really cheap like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment