Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe

When they made Cookie Monster, they must have modeled him after my hubby. He's a cookie junkie.  The only thing that will slow him down faster than a hard cookie, is a raisin in his cookie. Don't get me wrong, he'll still eat them, but he doesn't like them as much. My minions aren't too keen on raisins either, especially Teenie because they look like bugs. So  I have been challenged to make a soft, chewy oatmeal cookie. So this is what I came up with by looking at a few of my vintage cookbooks and adding a few of my own touches.  I want to apologize in advance for the pictures, as I forgot to take step by step one (sorry but I suck at making tutorials) so I just started taking pictures from the point I remembered to.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of butter (please do not use margarine because it's gross)
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups of old fashioned oats (not the instant kind)
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (stop being cheap and buy the real stuff, not imitation)
white sugar, about 1/3 cup

I used a stand mixer but you can use a hand mixer or do this by hand.
Preheat oven to 350
First I creamed together the brown sugar, and butter. Turned off the mixer then added every thing else except for the white sugar and the oats. Mix on low speed.  If you are doing this without a mixer, just use your hands.
Then i tried adding the oats while the mixer was on and oats started flying out so please turn off you mixer then add the oats and turn on 'stir' trust me if you don't do it like this you will be sorry and there will be a huge mess to clean up.
While the dough is mixing, take the white sugar and put in a bowl or a plate.




When the dough looks like all of the ingredients are incorporated, it's ready.
Scoop by round teaspoons and roll into balls and then roll into sugar.
 Place on a ungreased cookie sheet (or if you are smart use parchment paper to line your sheets, no sticking, no scrubbing later.) about 2 inches apart, these will spread. Bake on center rack of oven for 8-10 minutes. 
 Carefully remove from the pan and let cool.  I baked my for 9 minutes and so they were the perfect amount of soft and chewy.  Then I walked away for 2 minutes, looks like the cookie monster snatched some while I was gone.

All done! Makes about 24 cookies

Printable Recipe 

No comments:

Post a Comment