Monday, March 11, 2013

Teenie Makes A Quilt part 1

Due to uncooperative weather, we had to put our Monster High house project on hold, and find something else crafty to do.  We have been reading Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder and trying to incorporate some of the activities mentioned in our lesson plans.  In one chapter it mentioned I believe it was Mary making a quilt for her doll.  I thought it would be a great way to teach the kidlets how to sew.  The boy child wasn't interested, because "sewing is for girls." Teenie got really excited about the idea so off we went to the craft store to pick up some materials.  I have made a quilt before but it was one of those pre-fab fleece kits where the pieces are already cut out for you.  So I had to improvise, because I didn't know what I was doing and of course I didn't want Teenie to know that.  Sewing pieces of fabric together, no biggie...How hard could it be?  So I let Teenie pick out her own fabric. Then I borrowed a basic sewing machine to teach her to sew on (mine is computerized and I didn't want to overwhelm her).  I taught her to thread the machine, and wind the bobbin.  After a few practice runs on some scrap fabric she was ready to roll.  
She wanted to do every aspect of the quilt by herself, so I only helped when necessary.  I cut the fabric into squares and gave her the materials.
She laid out the pattern and pinned the squares together two at a time to sew.
Then added the third square (the quilt was 3 by 4 pattern, and they were actually rectangles but I am going to call them squares).
Check out those nails, she does her own manicures too.
Teenie decided she had done enough sewing for the day and decided to go play instead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment